Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A few things I've learned recently.

1. The dogs haven't been interested in digging in the garden, they were trying to clue my husband and I in to the fact something was paying us a visit.

2. Skunks like green tomatoes. And leaving scat on our driveway.

3. Skunks don't seem to like cayenne pepper, so the internet didn't lie to me.

4. I need more cayenne pepper.

5. My garden is otherwise doing fine:



6. Turkey bacon is not that bad. I can dig it.


In fact, turkey bacon, on a salad, topped off with cucumbers from the garden and this blue cheese dressing is also something I can dig. I am unfortunately not eating this dressing right now as I have no blue cheese in the house.

My mother in law did make this for our celebration on the 4th.


It's a fantastic, basic recipe. I've made a low fat version, my mother law made it full fat and both were equally good...just get good cheese.

Blue Cheese Dressing (or Dip)

Adapted from Epicurious.com

12 ounces crumbled blue cheese

1/2 cup mayonnaise (reduced fat works well)

1/2 cup plain yogurt (greek is best, sour cream is a good choice to use this as a dip)

1/4 cup water

Hot pepper sauce to taste (I know I used about 1/2 teaspoon when I made it.)

Salt and pepper to taste

Blend half of the blue cheese, mayo, and yogurt or sour cream in processor or in bowl with immersion blender. Add 1/4 cup water and hot pepper sauce; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in remaining blue cheese and serve. You can also completely blend the dressing smooth if you prefer as I do.
Oh, so good on potato chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment