Friday, July 2, 2010

My favorite things

Tuesday I had folks over for food, a keg and and watching a couple of newlyweds open wedding gifts.

It gave me a chance to fling my diet to the wind for a night and make some of my favorite foods that Weight Watchers thinks are high calorie. And they make me use up all my points for the day for like 2 bites. It makes me sad. Then I remember I've already lost a bit of my grad school weight and I stop bitching for a bit.


So, obviously I seem to have a thing for deviled eggs. I don't know what it is about them, but they are damn delicious. My husband and I could eat them by the dozen.

I made about 3 dozen the other night. I did not eat them all by myself.

I used another Epicurious recipe found here. The only change I made immediately was to use relish instead of pickle juice as suggested by some of the commenters on the site. Next time I think I will also add more horseradish. I really didn't notice it myself, although others. including my mom thought it was enough.


My other favorite thing are potatoes. Again, WW seems to think I shouldn't eat my weight in potatoes. Damn them.

Ever wonder what 10 pounds of russet potatoes look like sliced? Now you know!
I used one of my favorite recipes from Lottie and Doof. This recipe seriously changed the way I oven bake/fry potatoes. Precooking them, either in the microwave like the original recipe or par baking them like I tend to do and tossing them in cornstarch makes them so much more crispy and delicious. To par bake these I just put them in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then let them cool, slice and continue as the recipe directs.

The best part of cooking such a large amount was smashing the garlic with my meat tenderizer. I may never use the side of a knife again.


And as proof of how golden and crispy, here is my final product from Tuesday:

Tomorrow I hope to get a post up about the london broil I made, and if I can convince him, I will get my brother to do a guest post on the tri tip and turkey he smoked, both were awesome. In fact, I know he reads this, so hey, baby brother, want to post your adventures in smoking?

No comments:

Post a Comment