Friday, November 5, 2010

Vegetables for breakfast for dinner.

There is no doubt that my favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I will always choose breakfast given the option, whether it is lunch or dinner time.

One of my favorite local restaurants has a breakfast menu I adore, and now they offer it pretty much all the time. I went for lunch just a couple of weeks ago and had french toast while my Mom and Grandmother had an actual lunch.

A few night later, breakfast was in order again at dinner time
Despite the Santa Ana weather here pushing my local temps up into the 90's and 100's, the rest of the country has acknowledged fall is here and seasonal veggies are popping up all over.

I got beets and turnips in my CSA box two weeks (maybe three?) ago when I made this recipe, and I will be completely honest, I'd never cooked with either before.Never ever. I've tried canned beets, and didn't really like the taste. Turnips, when I've had them, likely were overcooked and under seasoned, because I wasn't a big fan of them either.




But I was really excited to get the fresh beets and turnips, because I'd seen a recipe for a hash with poached eggs in October's Cooking Light. Breakfast for dinner with seasonal veggies I had sitting in the fridge to boot.

One thing I discovered, beets and turnips are actually really pretty on the inside.



The hash breakfast for dinner was delicious.


Two Potato and Beet Hash with Poached Eggs

2  tablespoons  extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1  cup  finely chopped onion
2  cups  cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 3/4 pound)
2  cups  cubed peeled sweet potato (about 3/4 pound)
1  cup   cubed peeled turnip
2  tablespoons  chopped fresh sage, divided
3  garlic cloves, minced
1  cup  cubed peeled cooked beets (about 1/2 pound)
1/2  teaspoon  salt, divided
1/2  teaspoon  black pepper, divided
4  large eggs 


Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add potatoes, 1 tablespoon sage, and garlic; cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in beets, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar. Break each egg into a custard cup, and pour gently into pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sage evenly over eggs. Serve hash with poached egg on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment