Monday, January 17, 2011

I like to think I am better than Rachael Ray.

Periodically, when I sit down to write up a blog, I truly have little to no idea of what to say about it. Not even a title, which sometimes is the hardest part.

This is one of those nights.



But, given that I have broccoli to be eating in my fridge and a love of pasta, I recalled a time where Rachael Ray didn't drive me bonkers. I watched  her 30 minutes meals quite a bit once upon a time. She made a stove top mac and cheese with chicken and broccoli mixed in that was pretty tasty. I made a few times, never under 30 minutes though. She lies.

So in recalling her recipe I recalled it not being calorie friendly. I dug around, found a recipe that seemed similar and forged on for a delicious, comforting dinner that met with the husband's approval as well. It took me about an hour. How RR can really claim under 30 minutes I still don't know, considering I like my pasta al dente and not crunchy...



Chicken and Broccoli Mac and Cheese

Adapted from Weight Watchers, 9 points for a heaping 1 cup serving.


12 oz uncooked pasta, elbow macaroni or other small shape (about 3 cups)  
2 cups fat-free skim milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp table salt
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, use shrap or extra sharp for best flavor
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or more to taste
3 cups broccoli, cut into florets and steamed to desired doneness
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces

Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water according to package directions; drain and return to pot.

Meanwhile, while pasta cooks, in a large saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, salt, onion and garlic powder until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes.  Whisk in cheese and hot sauce. Add broccoli and chicken, mixing to coat and allow to cook for another minute to heat through. Add sauce to pasta; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

1 comment:

  1. We also had mac and cheese, though I'd hate to see the point assignment on ours. Yum....Velveeta loaded sauce.

    ReplyDelete