Saturday, January 29, 2011

We ate what was described as "grass clippings."

While at Costco today to pick up various needed things, I decided meat was in order for dinner. I picked up some New York steaks (my personal favorite) and realized I could try and hack one of my favorite steak house sides, creamed spinach.
I didn't have spinach though. I had kale, two bunches worth, and red frill, a mustard type of green. I've swapped greens for spinach before and figured this wouldn't be much different.

Next was to find a recipe that wasn't a cream filled one. I was ready to make substitutions if need be, but luckily, Cooking Light had a recipe that had good reviews and ingredients I mostly had on hand.

I rinsed, chopped up and steamed the greens. I rinsed them to cool them after they were cooked and squeezed they as dry as possible; no one wants watery creamed greens. The result was a ball of green that my husband felt looked like grass clippings he deals with every other week in our back yard. He still gave them a thumbs up though.

Good news is the greens didn't taste anything like grass. It was delicious! This was meant to be four servings, but we made it a two serving side tonight. It paired perfectly with our steaks.

Creamed Greens

Adapted from Cooking Light
3 points per 2/3 cup serving


2  (10-ounce) bags fresh spinach, greens or any combination of the above
Cooking spray
2  tablespoons  minced shallots
2  teaspoons  all-purpose flour
1/8  teaspoon  salt
1/8  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
1/2  cup  fat-free milk
1/2  cup  tub-style light cream cheese, softened (I used 4 wedges of Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss style cheese and it worked well)


Remove large stems from greens, rinse with cold water and drain. Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and add greens. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until greens wilt; stirring occasionally. Place greens in a colander, and drain well, squeezing greens to remove as much moisture as possible.

Place pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Combine flour, salt, and nutmeg; add to pan, stirring well. Cook 1 minute. Add milk and cheese, stirring with a whisk; cook 1 minute or until thick. Add greens, cook until heated through.


No comments:

Post a Comment