Saturday, February 5, 2011

I have been remiss in my pizza blogging.

I really thought I had posted this recipe before. I even came to my blog yesterday to pull it up. I was surprised I didn't have it posted, shocked even. It is likely I've made this dozens of times now.
This is likely the best homemade pizza dough recipe I've ever used. It stretches out well, giving you a nice thin crust if you so desire. It also does well as a thicker crust. It bakes up well in a nice hot oven or on your hot grill. It is a recipe I go to time and time again for making pizza, which is why I was so surprised  hadn't blogged it before now.

Another good thing is after a day of cleaning the house, bathrooms, and kitchen and giving the dogs baths and taking their picture because by god, they are clean, the crust comes together really easy. You just have to allow time for the crust to rise and mixing it together. It takes well to any toppings as well, give it a try this next week and have a pizza night!

Homemade Pizza Crust


From Epicurious



1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 3/4 to 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus additional for kneading and dredging
3/4 cup warm water (105-115F)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon olive oil



Stir together yeast, 1 tablespoon flour, and 1/4 cup warm water in a measuring cup and let stand until mixture appears creamy on surface, about 5 minutes. (If it doesn't, discard and start over with new yeast.)

Stir together 1 1/4 cups flour and salt in a large bowl, then add yeast mixture, oil, and remaining 1/2 cup warm water and stir until smooth. Stir in enough of remaining flour (1/4 to 1/2 cup) for dough to come away from side of bowl. (This dough will be slightly wetter than other pizza doughs you may have made.)

Knead dough on a work surface with floured hands, reflouring work surface and hands when dough becomes too sticky, until dough is smooth, soft, and elastic, about 8 minutes.  It's essential to knead the dough well to have a smoother, easier to work with dough after rising. You can divide dough in half and form into 2 balls for two smaller pizzas or leave whole for one large pizza. Generously coat ball(s) all over with olive oil and put in a medium bowl. Cover bowls with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm, non drafty area until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/4 hours.

Once risen, you can punch the dough down and stretch it to the desired size and thickness then top and bake. I tend to bake at 425 inside, or between 600-700 on my gas grill.

This is pre baking, it was so good I couldn't keep the hoards away to take a picture once it was baked. That good.

No comments:

Post a Comment