Monday, February 21, 2011

Soul waffles

The other day, I emailed my husband at work, as we often do, asking if waffles sounded like a good idea for dinner. I am pretty sure I've mentioned before how much I like breakfast for dinner. My husband, slightly confused, asked if I wanted to go out or have homemade waffles. This somehow evolved further to me making waffles from my soul.

We have weird email conversations at times.

So ultimately, the next night, I made waffles for dinner. We have a really keen waffle iron, one of those wedding presents we don't use often. I should pull it out more though, it's not a huge one and it is easy to use. Plus, my husband loves waffles. Our favorite place to vacation is up in Big Sur, and the lodge we stay at has waffles every morning for breakfast, he eats waffles until he is stuffed.

These waffles have a bit of cornmeal in them, it added a nice bit of crunch and texture. Making them was easy, as was the syrup we topped them with. A couple of disclaimers, the original recipe makes 7 waffles, I got 8 out of the recipe. Obviously this is due to the size of my waffle iron, so your results may vary. Secondly, these were best when eaten fresh. I had part of one right off the iron and it was light and crispy, I kept them warm in a 200 degree oven when making them which did fine. Reheating them the next day, while still good, they weren't as good. So these wouldn't be one to freeze for later eating, unfortunately.

Corn Meal Waffles with Berry Syrup
For me, making 8 waffles, these came out to 5 WW points a waffle with 2 WW points for 1/3 cup of the syrup.
Egads! I forgot to add my sources, Cooking Light here and here.

Cooking spray
1  cup  all-purpose flour
3/4  cup  yellow cornmeal
2  teaspoons  baking powder
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1 1/2  cups  low-fat buttermilk
1/2  cup  maple syrup
1  tablespoon  vegetable oil
2  large egg yolks
2  large egg whites


Syrup:
1 1/2  cups  fresh or frozen blueberries
1 1/2  cups  fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries or blackberries (I used blackberries)
1/2  cup  maple syrup
1/4  teaspoon  vannila extract

Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray, and preheat.


Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture. Place buttermilk, maple syrup, oil, and egg yolks in a bowl, and stir well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.

Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into cornmeal mixture.

Spoon about 1/2 cup batter onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until done; repeat procedure with remaining batter.


To prepare syrup, combine berries, maple syrup, and vanilla in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Serve warm over waffles.


No comments:

Post a Comment