Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gyoza!

I've been wanting dumplings for a couple of weeks now and I had the time yesterday to make some. Well, several some, about 100 of them to be more precise.
I pulled the recipe from here. The only difference was mine didn't have rice wine in the filling, so I dropped the amount of cornstarch I used to account for the lower moisture content. I doubled my recipe and used about 2-3 teaspoons of the cornstarch.
A side note about the blog Delicious! Delicious! I stumbled across it a few weeks ago and read through the archives. It is well written and enjoyable, however, she doesn't seem to be updating it anymore. More's the pity.

Here is my filling before adding it to the pork. Delicious is its name. I kept the two separate initially to taste for seasoning.


A pound and change of ground pork, waiting for the addition of Delicious.

After introducing Delicious to its new friend Pork, I spent a couple of hours folding little dumplings. After a while I cheated and only folded in three large pleats. I don't think anyone noticed or cared and the work went much faster.
Dexter thought he could help, he got spray bottle of water to the face and went off to pout.


Cooking was fast. I browned them on their side instead of the bottoms, easier and I didn't have dumplings tipping over.

We had them as a main dish for dinner, along with a stir fry mix of snow peas, oyster mushrooms, white mushrooms and a little baby bok choy. I topped the veggies off with a prepared black bean and garlic stir fry sauce.


Mention dumplings and people are eager to come over for dinner, we finished off 6 dozen last night.


Looking at that crispy little dumpling there is making me hungry. Delicious and Pork got on very nicely together. Good news for me is I have more uncooked gyoza in the fridge, lunch is calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment