Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Horseradish is a delicious thing.

Generally, when I want something yummy to go with beef, my mind goes to two options: Gorgonzola cheese or Horseradish.

Horseradish was one of those ingredients that I always shied away from early on in my adult life. Didn't buy it, didn't cook with it, just didn't deal with it.

I don't know at what point I really decided horseradish was something I needed to cook with, but I know my love of sushi, and of course wasabi, helped.

For my birthday back in April, I put together a buffet of appetizers and munchies, including this beef skewer recipe from Nigella I found on Iron Stef's blog. It features horseradish prominently, in both the marinade and the dipping sauce served alongside.


The only change I made in making it the second time around was to add parsley to the marinade since I have so much of it growing in my garden.

We had the beef grilled, not on skewers this time, with salad and a multigrain/seeded bread from Trader Joe's. The parsley was a good addition, added a little flavor without overwhelming the rest of the ingredients in the marinade. And definitely make sure you use port, it lends a bit of sweetness and when grilled caramelizes the meat and melds so well with the spice of the horseradish.



It was so good! This was quite the meal, I also made a raspberry frozen yogurt for dessert that I plan on posting later, tonight if I can manage it after clinic this afternoon. It's been a busy week for me, I won't have a day off until friday, after working 6 days straight between my regular job and working clinical hours for school. But I do have a few posts I want to get up here and hope to before we go to Disneyland for my niece's 5th birthday on Sunday, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment