Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A meal my husband can make.

This is another meal I pulled last week for my meal planning. This was Tuesday night's dinner, a night where my husband would have to be responsible for cooking if we were going to eat anytime before 9 pm. He's a great helper in the kitchen, but not often responsible for the whole meal.

An easy meal to start him off with was a quick stir fry, one with heat from chili paste and a nice bite from lemon grass.

The chopping part was easy for him, and the whole dish came together really quickly and easily. I really don't have too much to say about this one, since I had nothing really to do with it except choose the recipe and buy the ingredients. I came home from work and dinner was ready about 10 minutes later. This is something I hope becomes a trend, a delicious dinner made by my husband.





I will say this though, if you've never used sambal oelek before (we hadn't) it has a heat that builds, so be prepared for  a spicier dish. if hot isn't your thing, I'd start with a little and add more if you'd like. Just be prepared for a heat that hits its peak about halfway through the plate. But it is such a good heat, this was really yummy.





















Vietnamese Stir-Fry


From Cooking Light

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup finely chopped peeled lemon grass
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
1 1/2 tablespoons sambal oelek chili paste (Huy Fong, the folks that make the Rooster sauce make one I found at my local asian market)
1/4 cup soy sauce (can be low sodium)
Salt to taste
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
8 ounces rice noodles cooked to package directions

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the lemon grass and saute for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add chicken and continue to saute for 3 minutes until chicken is lightly browned. Stir in the sambal, then add the soy sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is done. Add rice noodles, green onions and cilantro to pan and toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment