Saturday, September 11, 2010

Might as well face it.

I have an addiction and I think I am ready to admit it here.

Hi, my name is Jo, and I have an addiction to dry rubs.

Whew! I feel better getting that out.



I never used dry rubs much before until I started using a grilled chicken recipe that used a dry rub. Since then, I use one whenever I can. I again have the Noble Pig to thank for this.

We had folks over last night for a game night, so I grabbed some pork, gave it a dry rub and popped it into the crock pot while I cleaned the house up during the day. The smell in the house yesterday was insanely good, I wanted that pork to slow cook faster so I could taste it.


So good.

Straight from the Crockpot and shredded, on a roll topped with your favorite barbecue sauce this pork is good. But if you have the time, a vinegar sauce and bourbon barbecue sauce that come together really easily are the perfect accompaniment to the pulled pork.


Crockpot Pulled Pork



2 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin (I only ended up having 1 teaspoon left, which was fine, but I'd rather have had the 2 tablespoons.)
5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons seasoned salt
2 cups barbecue sauce

1 (6-8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder or pork butt
Rolls for serving

1. Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl.

2. Massage spice rub into meat. Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (For stronger flavor, the roast can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

3. Unwrap roast and place it in slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 10 hours, until meat is fork-tender.

4. Transfer roast to cutting board; “Pull” by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.

5. Place shredded meat back in slow cooker liner; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce or vinegar sauce if using, and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot. Serve with additional barbecue sauce and vinegar sauce.

Vinegar Sauce

Adapted from Epicurious.com

1 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespooons firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
3 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and white pepper with 2/3 cups of water in a nonreactive medium-size bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary; the sauce should be piquant but not quite sour. Mix half into pork and serve the remainder on the side.

Bourbon Barbecue Sauce



2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
1/3 cup bourbon
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder


Combine all ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until sauce thickens and flavors blend, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment