Friday, September 3, 2010

Peanut butter, oatmeal and chocolate, oh my!

A trifecta. Holy trinity. Darn good stuff.

Oh, how I love some oatmeal in my cookies. Peanut butter too. Chocolate chips, of course.

I have two special folks in my life that have birthdays this week, my grandmother turned 87, my best friend turns 30.

Grammy had some cake on her official day, but to be honest, cake isn't her thing. She prefers cookies anyday.

We are taking Carly to Disneyland for her birthday this weekend, and cookies travel better then cake. I don't believe she has any aversions to cookies.

And they make a good bribe for the friend whose house you are staying at for the weekend. While she is in the midst of a slight, minor kitchen/bathroom/backyard face lift. I feel you Trina, and I will be taking notes on your kitchen face lift, I have that on my list. Oh and my "nephew" her son, I bet he and his Dad both wouldn't mind some cookies either.


I googled the interwebs some and found a recipe for peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I made a slight adjustment and carried on.


Also, it's that time of year again...at least according to Costco where Christmas decorations are already available for purchase. Nearly time for holiday baking, I can feel it around the corner. That and I have 2 large bags of chocolate chips, 20 pounds of sugar and the first four pounds of butter for the baking season. I feel the pressing need to bake things and hand them out to people, starting with these cookies.


I assume these would be really good with a glass of milk, I happened to have Rosy Cheeks wine from the Sweet Cheeks Winery in Oregon. They weren't half bad with glass of wine.

And my little tweak I think made for a very tender cookie.


Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter (I used an all natural pb)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup agave syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup rolled oats
2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liner and set aside.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

3. On medium speed, cream together the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and agave syrup and beat to combine. On low speed, gradually add the flour until just combined. Stir in the oats, and then the chocolate chips.

4. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then move to cooling racks. When cooled completely, store in an airtight container at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment