Monday, September 20, 2010

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.

I continued on in the garden and house today.

My garden is partially winterized, I have broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts in. And my pepper plants are powering forward still, so they stayed. I cannot tell you how exciting it is to actually have hot peppers this year. Last year, my pepper plants kept getting eaten. Horn worms apparently don't discriminate and only eat tomatoes.











I also checked on our Limoncello. I've blogged about making the yummy stuff before, this is our special reserve. Our previous attempt is really good, we made it with 151 proof Everclear.

One of my husband's co-workers brought some 190 proof Everclear back to us and we've been steeping this since January or February. I honestly can't remember, which isn't a bad thing. The longer it sits, the better the end result. Today I added the simple syrup and by the holidays it should be ready to go.




And for dinner seared ahi tuna steak. Green salad on the side. yummy and light with a little heat from a simple wasabi yogurt sauce. It was really tasty, definately something to make again, maybe when my husband is home too, I think the wasabi may be enough to get him to eat more fish.



Seared Ahi

2 1/2 pound ahi steaks
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
3 tablespoons greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon wasabi powder (or more to taste)


1. Combine soy sauce and vinegar and allow tuna to marinate 20 minutes, turning halfway through. Mix yogurt and wasabi powder in small dish  until combined and set aside.

2. Heat a skillet over high heat until screaming hot. Press sesame seeds on to one side of each tuna steak and put into skillet seeded side down, cook for 3-5 minutes, flip, then continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes. Less time equals a rarer steak.

3. Serve immediately with the wasabi sauce on the side. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment