Monday, December 27, 2010

Days of Christmas: Caramel Bacon Popcorn

I will be heading out shortly to another holiday sort of party, so this will be a short, sweet, to the point post. It involves bacon, sugar and popcorn, and I don't think you can go wrong with this combination. I love salted caramel, the sharp salty bite against the sweet, creamy caramel backdrop is awesome, so when I came across the blog I found this recipe on, I couldn't wait to try it.



It was quick and easy, especially since I already had all my candy making gear out and at the ready from making marshmallows and fudge.

The only thing I did change and would do again is to add more bacon. I increased it some, I would likely add more when I make this popcorn again. The bacon was good, but not plentiful enough for my bacon loving family. People were digging around, trying to find the pieces with bacon stuck to them!


Caramel Bacon Popcorn

Adapted from Zakka Life


15 cups of popped popcorn - 2/3 cup of kernels will make about 15 cups
1 lb bacon
1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1-2 teaspoon of salt (I only used 1, but I would increase it if you like more of a salty bite)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Cook bacon as normal till crisp. Chop up finely and set aside.

Make the popcorn:  Add a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add one kernel, cover pot with lid. When you hear that kernel pop, add one third cup of kernels, place lid back on. Shake pot while kernels cook. When the popping starts to die down, turn off heat. Continue to shake the pot and keep the lid on for about 30 seconds. Repeat process. Spread popcorn out on two baking sheets coated with oil or cooking spray.

In a medium sized pot melt butter. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, salt and mix together. Bring to a boil and stir constantly. Boil for four minutes without mixing. Turn off heat and add baking soda, vanilla, and bacon. Mix all together.

Drizzle mixture all over popcorn and mix well.

Place both baking sheets with popcorn in oven. Bake for 30-60 stirring every 15 minutes, until caramel darkens slightly and popcorn is evenly coated. Take out of oven and let cool, store in airtight containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment