Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My days of Christmas.

I would call this my 12 days of Chrsitmas, but I really don't know how many recipes I will eventually post. This is good and bad. Good because I've used some really good recipes this year and I am excited to talk about them and have someplace where they are recorded for next year; bad because I've been eating a lot of cookies and such. And there is still more eating to be done between now and the new year.


First recipe for my Christmas prep are Sausage Balls. These aren't always well thought of, I am sure many people wince if they appear on the table for the holidays, but for years now, they've been a Christmas Eve tradition in my family. We always have a gaggle of appetizers and cookies, eat split pea soup, open presents from the family and then go to church for the 11 pm candlelight service. It just isn't Christmas if we don't do all of the above.

One of those many years ago, my Grammy made and brought sausage balls as her contribution. We loved them. We ate them up like the end of the world was near. We were amazed that Grammy had cooked something, it really wasn't her forte, and that we loved it. From there on, Sausage Balls became as ubiquitous on Christmas Eve as my mom's Split Pea Soup. If they weren't there, it wasn't Christmas.

Now that Grammy has retired from making the sausage balls, I've picked up the banner. It helps the recipe is so easy. No wonder Grammy was able to pull them off.


Bisquick Sausage Balls

Recipe from here, although there are many different ones that are easy to find with Google with alternate ratios if you prefer more cheese, more biscuit or more sausage. Also, most recipes I referenced for this don't call for peppers of any type, but Grammy said the original she had called for pimentos. I used a sweet hot type of pepper in mine, but green chilies, jalapeƱos, what ever you prefer would be excellent.


2 cups Bisquick
1 pound sausage, uncooked
10 oz. grated chedder cheese
6 ounces pimento, red pepper or green chiles chopped
Directions:

Combine all the above in a bowl and mix until combined. If you want a more homogenous mixture, you can use a food processor to combine all the ingredients. Roll the mixture into balls about the size of a walnut and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degress F for about 20 minutes. The balls should be lightly browned and the sausage cooked through.

Oh the yummy.

1 comment: