Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tis the season for broccoli.

I am sure the holiday season doesn't make you think of broccoli at all, but it is fully in season, and I pulled my first two crowns of broccoli out of my garden yesterday. Add to that the small, tender baby crowns of broccoli I had in my CSA box this week and I was ready for stir fry.

I love, love, love broccoli beef stir fry. I almost always get it when we eat Chinese food.  Stir frying is just so good for broccoli. It cooks it fast and keeps it crisp, nothing worse than soggy veggies.



Last night I made a broccoli chicken stir fry with a citrus based sauce, i had some chicken tighs in the freezer, but the recipe would also be great with some lean beef or even shrimp. . It was quick, easy, very tasty and reheats well.

Broccoli Chicken Stir Fry

Adapted from Epicurious


1 1/2 pound skinless, boneless, chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons cream Sherry
Juice and zest of 2 tangerines

1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

2 tablespoons oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 inches ginger root, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 bunches broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces


Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Whisk orange juice, vinegar, and cornstarch in medium bowl to blend. Set aside.
Heat oil in heavy large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes; sauté 15 seconds.
Add chicken mixture; stir-fry until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate.
Add broccoli to same skillet. Stir-fry until crisp-tender. Return chicken to skillet. Stir juice mixture to recombine and add to skillet. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment