Sunday, August 29, 2010

Canning part 2: Electric Boogaloo

I absolutely love bread. I could eat good bread all day and all night. I really shouldn't, but I could.

Good bread deserves a good topper. Sometimes it is cheese, other times I want something sweet. Fruit preserves are a big favorite of mine.

Growing up, my Grandpa had fruit trees that my Grandma often used to make jam. I still remember the plum jam she made, nothing store made matches my memory of course.

Unfortunately, the plum tree is gone now, so I can't recreate my Grandma's plum jam. But, peaches have been plentiful at all the stores nearby at really good prices, so last week I made peach preserves.


Peeled, diced and with some sugar and pectin, I let them cook for a short time before ladling into jars for processing.


I don't use much pectin, which is used to thicken jams and preserves, because I personally like a thinner preserve. They work well on pancakes and ice cream that way.


Yum yum!

Peach Preserves

Adapted from Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving

4 cups peaches, peeled, pitted and diced

2 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 package powdered fruit pectin

2 cups granulated sugar (if your peaches aren't very sweet, you can increase the amount of sugar to taste, up to 5 cups.)

Prepare canner, lids and jars.

In a large nonreactive sauce pan, combine peaches, sugar, lemon juice and pectin, stir to combine.

Bring to a boil over high heat, and allow to cook at a full rolling boil for 10 minutes.

Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Place lids and screw band on until resistance is met. Process jars in canner for 10 minutes with lid on, then remove lid and turn off heat. Remove after 5 minutes, allow to cool and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment